Organization is seeking to appoint a Cloud Platform Engineer within our Cloud Operations team. The successful candidate will join a team of engineers with responsibility for managing and maintaining the core private and public cloud infrastructure which underpins our hosted offering as well as supporting services like SMTP, DNS, WAN, AV, CD infrastructure and configuration management technologies. The successful candidate and their team will contribute to ensuring the best uptime, performance and security of Organization’s hosted customers as well as ensuring that our core services have ownership and appropriate levels of attention to continue to support the business needs.
The candidate will divide their time between cloud platform operational work and working with other teams within Organization to drive and implement operational improvements for our products, particularly focusing on automation technologies. They will also work closely with our Project Management team to plan and implement technical programmer within the hosted environment as well as plan and project manage smaller technical projects directly. This is an exciting opportunity to join a team who adopted a culture of continuous improvement and collaboration based on Agile methodologies.Location
Cloud Platform Team LeadKey Responsibilities
- Maintain and develop automation scripts in source control to reduce the risk of human error.
- Maintain and develop cookbooks in source control to implement declarative configuration where possible for both products and infrastructure to ensure a controlled and consistent environment.
- Plan, monitor and progress other technical projects to implement infrastructure and process improvements and contribute to departmental strategic projects.
- Work with the management team to identify and roadmap the elimination of technical debt.
- Provide consultancy/advice to other teams as needed.
Work with and guide other operational teams to:
- Ensure routine maintenance/updates occur for firewall, load balancer, virtual infrastructure and other core capabilities.
- Manage AWS related maintenance/notifications and ensure appropriate actions occur and governance is applied in line with policy.
- Monitor and manage capacity for the virtual infrastructure (CPU, RAM, storage and provide recommendations for increases. Ensure capacity changes are implemented safely.
- Ensure application (excluding database) and infrastructure backups are running and successful and that processes and monitoring are in place to alert teams to issues.
- Ensure any formal DR solutions are working and routinely tested.
- Ensure antivirus and other core services are managed and maintained and appropriately notifying teams of issues.
The ideal candidate would have experience with the following:
- Windows PowerShell for administration and automation.
- Configuring, managing and automating AWS.
- Configuring/managing AWS Cloud Formation scripts, Elastic Load Balancers, Virtual Private Cloud
- Managing and maintaining Chef Cookbooks and Recipes.
- Source Control and the fundamentals of working with Git.
- VMware ESX/vSphere administration/configuration including HA/DRS and SRM.
- Windows Server administration/configuration including: Active Directory, Group Policy, DFS, DHCP, DNS and WSUS.
- Networking principles: TCP/IP, Routers, Firewalls, Switches, Load Balancers, VPNs.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection.
- NetApp SAN / Snap Manager for Virtual Infrastructure.
- Linux experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience working in a commercial hosted/data center environment.
- Experience participating in a team of highly technical engineers.
- Experience managing technical projects, including resource management and reporting.
- Excellent problem solving skills and an eye for detail.
- Experience of working in an ITIL environment with particular regard to Change and Incident management.
- Excellent customer/stakeholder handling skills.
- A strong ability and desire to collaborate with peers and to constructively resolve differing points of view.
- Experience working with ServiceNow (or similar ticketing/ITSM application).
Desired Candidate Profile